Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My dog has a large bump on his right butt/hip area.

What could cause my dog to have a large bump on his right butt/hip area? He seems to be a bit agitated by quickly sitting down.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.

How long has the lump been there?
Has it been aspirated yet?
Is it movable with the skin or does it seem attached to deeper tissue?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I’m not sure how long it’s been there. I only noticed it last night when he got agitated. I’m not sure what you mean by aspirated. It seems attached, but soft and warm to the touch, like a cyst.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.

In a dog this age, a large lump could be a ceruminous cyst, sebaceous cyst, skin tumor, or abscess. The lump needs to aspirated with a needle and examined under a microscope to determine which you are dealing with. If there is an abscess it will need to be drained along with oral antibiotics. If it is a cyst it will need to be drained or removed. If it is a skin tumor it will need to be removed if malignant. Benigns are removed when they get large. There is not really anything to do at home for any of those problems. If he seems to be in pain then buffered aspirin can be used at 5 milligrams per pound of body weight every 12 hours as needed but it must be given with food and cannot be mixed with other anti-inflammatories.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, I didn’t initially say, but he has always had a hip disorder where he leans to one side. The lump is on the side in which he leans. I didn’t know if this made a difference or not.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
If the lump is very hard and under the skin it can be a sign of severe arthritic change in the hip joint or even a bone tumor. Radiographs would be needed to rule those things out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The lump isn't hard at all, but very soft, warm, and mushy. Can any of these things be life threatening?

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
A malignant skin tumor would be a worst case scenario as they can spread to other parts of the body. The other possible causes are usually not difficult to fix but surgery is needed in some cases.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, thank you for all your help.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good Luck!