Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

my dogs nail has been pulled away from the quik not bleeding

my dogs nail has been pulled away from the quik not bleeding but is bothering him
and can tell is tender. will the nail fall off? what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is part of the nail still attached? If so is the piece of nail movable or firmly attached still?

How long ago did this happen?

Is he limping on the foot?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The whole nail still there but pulled away from quik

happened 12 days ago

has stopped limping doesn't like me to touch

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

A broken nail like Kaiser has can be very uncomfortable especially if the nail is still attached. If the nail is broken to the point where almost all of it is separated from the nail bed/tissue inside of it then most of the time the nail will fall off. Once the broken part of the nail falls off the toenail is actually less painful. If the nail is fairly attached though this most likely will not happen.

Therefore if the nail is still fairly attached then I would not suspect that it will fall off especially if it has been attached for about 12 days already. The attachment on Kaiser's nail is unfortunately too well attached at this point. He will feel better though if the broken part of the nail is removed therefore if it is fairly attached you may have to take him in to see your vet to have them remove the nail. Some dogs are so painful that they may need a sedative for this, but sometimes a topical anesthetic may help with the pain of removing the nail. I would also recommend having your vet look around the nail to make sure that there is not an infection present as this can also cause discomfort around the nail.

Overall taking Kaiser to your vet to have the nail removed is probably the best way to help him. You can soak his foot in a luke warm epsom salt solution using a large mug or bowl for up to five minutes twice a day though for now. THis will help relieve pain and help reduce any possible infection around the toenail.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.