Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

my dog has a lump on his belly, just to the side of the midline

my dog has a lump on his belly, just to the side of the midline and just in front of his penis. what might this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Is the lump firm or soft?

Is it fixed, or can you freely move it around?

How long has he had it?

Has it grown much larger since you first noticed it?

Are you able to press in on it and cause it to go away?

Is it painful?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It hasnt grown, about a week, it's not real hard, not sure soft or firm. seems fixed, not painful, and cant make it go away
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. I will say that it is impossible to really say what a mass is without examining some cells from the mass under the microscope or getting a biopsy. When dealing with a swelling in front of the penis, the first thing I would be thinking of is an umbilical hernia. He would have most likely had this when he was born, though, and it closed up sometime after that, causing some abdominal fat to be entrapped in there. The umbilicus is usually right on midline, though. If this just popped up, it could be a benign fatty tumor (most common skin mass in dogs), but these are usually soft, and you can move them around some. If fixed and not movable, it usually means that the mass is attached to the underlying tissue. While it can still be a cyst or benign tumor, there is a higher chance of it being a cancerous tumor. So, if you are certain it is not an umbilical hernia, and it is fixed in one spot, I would recommend having your vet check it out and getting an aspirate of it. About 85% of skin masses in dogs are benign, though, especially with younger dogs, so chances are it is nothing serious. If you can take a picture and post it to your next message, I would be happy to take a look at it. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience