CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog has been sneezing a lot lately. She sneezes periodically

My dog has been sneezing a lot lately. She sneezes periodically throughout the day one sneeze at a time. Last night she woke from a nap in a sneezing fit (about 10 big sneezes in a row). She also has reverse sneezing anywhere from 1-3 times per week. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or if it's normal. She's also "flea nipping" her paws and body a lot lately. She's always sneezed, reverse sneezed and nipped now and again, maybe I'm just noticing it more lately.

I recently switched her food to Wellness Simple Solutions to eliminate an ongoing diarrhea problem (which it did solve).

I think I'm just overreacting, but would like some advice.

She is a 7 year old lab/pit bull mix. Everything else is normal with her...appetite, energy, no runny eyes or nose.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Is there any discharge from the nose?

CriticalCareVet :

Coughing?

CriticalCareVet :

Other change in breathing?

Customer:

No apparent discharge. No coughing. Breathing seems fine. I can hear her sniffer out checking out the plants the deer have eaten...doesn't sound funny at all.

CriticalCareVet :

We can certainly see this from simple causes such as perceived acid reflux or nausea.

CriticalCareVet :

Antacids for stomach upset can be considered (often one is chosen of the 3 choices below):
- Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE
- Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) - LINK HERE
- Rantididine (Zantac) - LINK HERE

CriticalCareVet :

WE can also see this from a simple rhinitis or allergies.

CriticalCareVet :

(and by acid reflux and nausea - referring to the diarrhea part)

CriticalCareVet :

For the rhinitis Benadryl (LINK HERE) is often used.

Customer:

She sometimes "burps up" food from her stomach and eats it in her mouth (doesn't actually throw it up on the floor)

CriticalCareVet :

That would fit right in with the information above :)

Customer:

Weird...I would have never put the burping up with sneezing...they seem so unrelated. (At least in humans)

CriticalCareVet :

But you present 2 possible signs / issues here

CriticalCareVet :

This may be just a rhinitis, allergic in nature, especially with the reverse sneezing

CriticalCareVet :

And if that is the case, antihistamines should help

Customer:

Would rhinitis be more of an environmental allergen as opposed to a food allergy?

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - much more likely!

Customer:

OK. So if you were me, would you treat both possibilities at once or go down one avenue first?

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - I would consider both

Customer:

Thank you very much. Our family has experienced a lot of losses lately and I think that has piqued my concern with Dazee. Sounds like I don't have a serious problem and will try your suggestions to see if I can help her.

CriticalCareVet :

Glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”