Dr. George White
Dr. George White, Veterinarian
Experience:  36 years experience, board certified emergency and critical care

my dog cannot walk using her back legs i took her to a vet

my dog cannot walk using her back legs i took her to a vet he said her back is find (XRAYS) SHE SHAKES ALOT THE VET PUT HER ON PAIN PILL AND ANTI FLAMATORY SHE GOT WORST THE VET SAID I DO NOT HAVE TO BRING HER BACK IN
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. George White replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. White and I will do my best to answer your questions. Do I understand you to be saying Cassey had no use of her hind legs, can't support weight or walk? When did this happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ABOUT A MONTH AGO SHE WAS SHAKING ALOT I TOOK A VET HE SAID IT WAS HER BACK . PUT HER ON MEDS. SHE GOT WORSE. TOOK HER TO BACK TO THE VET THEY DID XRAYS AND SAID HER BACK IS FINE BUT SHE IS 15 POUNDS OVER WEIGHT THEN SHE STOP WALKING
Is she now not able to support weight on the hind legs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO
When did this happen, not being able to use his hind legs? I know he was having some issues a month ago but I assume he was still walking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ONE WEEK AGO

While I can't make a diagnosis from this web site I am concerned Cassey may have a herniated disc in the lower back. That is the most common cause of posterior paralysis is dogs, and it often first presents as just back pain. Dogs that are paralyzed with this condition but still have deep pain sensation may be candidates for surgery. However, if there is no deep pain present, especially for one week, the chances for a recovery, even with surgery, are not very good. If that is what this is there is no medication that will make a difference. I recommend you have your family veterinarian re-evaluate her tomorrow and give her a thorough neurologic examination and especially assess her for pain sensation in the hind legs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SHE HAD XRAYS HER BACK IS GOOD THE SECOND TIME I TOOK HER TO THE VET SHE WAS WALKING WOBBLY THE VET TOOK SOME KIND OF TOOL AND PINCH HER BACK TO TEST FOR PAIN AND DID BLOOD WORK EVERY THING GOOD DO YOU THINK HER WEIGHT COULD BE HARD ON HER LEGS? TODAY WAS THE FIRST TIME IN WEEKS TO WALK BUT SHE DRAG HER BACK LEGS AND SHE WAG HER TAIL
Plain spinal x rays won't show if there is a herniated disc. They most often look completely normal. While her weight may be a contributing factor for some of her weight bearing problem it doesn't have anything to do with a herniated disc, if in fact that is what this is, and you are accurately describing the clinical signs of a herniated disc.
Dr. George White, Veterinarian
Experience: 36 years experience, board certified emergency and critical care