Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

will apple cider vinegar help with my dogs yeast infection? do

will apple cider vinegar help with my dogs yeast infection?
do i feed it to her or apply it to her skin?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 4 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

What type of yeast infection is present and where at ?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and how has it been treated previously ?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Typically -- yeast infections are secondary and due to another probelm

Customer:

her ears and paws. she has not been treated

Customer:

her groomer made me aware

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- Considering the sites that are affected -- I am wondering if there may be an allergic issue as a primary problem. Typically -- allergies in dog -- atoptic dermatitis -- will show up as redness with itching at the paws -- and also ear infections are common as well .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Then yeast and or bacteria will be able to set up housekeeping and infect the areas --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Apple cider vinegar is used 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water as a rinse on skin and in ears to prevent yeast infections (as it changes the pH)

Customer:

ok. her ears are stinky and she is constantly picking them

Customer:

is her diet make a differance

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ear infections can be just in the ear canal -- but if this has been goin on for any time - there can be probelms that extend to the middle ear. And the ear drum may not be intact -- and these cases should not have vinegar placed in them. So a vet visit to have the ear drum visiulized would be the best thing to do . Then after it is treated, you could use the vinegar mix to prevent further infections.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I'm sorry --- I do not understand the last comment regarding diet ...

Dr. BJ Hughes :

.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Atopy in dogs can be caused by 1 ) flea saliva (only takes one bite) 2) food ingredients (often grains or protein sources) or environmental things (pollen, dust, molds, etc etc )

Customer:

will her diet make a difference

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You may need to look at a combintion of things to control this -- and diet could be part of it --

Customer:

i think i will take her to the vet i think it pretty bad

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It all depends on whether she is allergic to food ingredients or not

Dr. BJ Hughes :

That is probably the right thing to do -- and you may find that a food trial on a no-grain, unusual protein food (such as blue buffalo taste of the wild) , along with anthistamines (with occasional low dose short term prednisone usage) may be necessary -- to keep this under control long term

Customer:

ok thank you so much!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian