CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog has a lump on his right neck that his Dr. called and

My dog has a lump on his right neck that his Dr. called and left a msg that the asperate came back as blood nothing else it is too late to call them what does that mean - what are the cause of just getting blood?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Do you mean ASPIRATE, with a needle, not a biopsy - correct?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

do you have an ansew for my question?

Customer:

Am I supposed to type my question again or just sit here?

Unfortunately at times - because a very small needle is used, it does not come back with a positive result.

It just gets cells, not a chunk of tissue.

In these cases - if concerned and the mass does not resolve, a true tissue biopsy will be needed rather than a needle sample.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
-Unfortunately at times - because a very small needle is used, it does not come back with a positive result.

Please click the "

See above
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did not get an answer back about the aspirate just having blood in the pathology report and i wanted to know the causes of it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would like a cut and dry hypothetical answer - if the aspirate comes back with just blood - what are the typical causes of just having blood in a lump?

Just blood = non-diagnostic sample. Could be a hematoma or benign lump.

No way to know without biopsy.

Cut and dry.