Dr. Maggie
Dr. Maggie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian, General Practitioner

my dog has diarrhea and is vomiting white foam

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Maggie replied 4 years ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Maggie, I am going to try to answer your question tonight.

First, I need a little more information.

1.) How long has this been going on for?

2.) Any blood present in the diarrhea or vomitus?

3.) Is your dog up to date on vaccinations?

4.) Anything that you are aware of that your dog may have gotten into?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this has been going 1 day. no blood present. he is a stray that we took in a week ago. he ate some burgers that were thrown in trash
Okay - thanks for the additional information.

I would be suspicious that this may be from him getting into the trash. However, since we don't know his vaccination status, we can't rule out infectious causes (such as parvovirus). Other possible causes would include foreign bodies and GI parasites.

I am going to recommend witholding food for the nest 8-12 hours. Go ahead and continue to offer water, because we don't want him to get dehydrated. If by tomorrow morning, he hasn't stopped vomiting, then he needs to be seen by your vet first thing in the morning. If he has improved after 8-12 hours without food, you may begin to slowly reintroduce food by offer small amounts of a bland diet (such as boiled chicken breast meat and rice).

If he is able to keep that down, and the diarrhea is improving, you can slowly switch him back onto his regular food. Again, if he isn't improving tomorrow, he should be seen by your regular vet.

Hopefully that answered your question, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

If you found this information helpful, please click the green 'Accept' button so I can get compensated for my time. Thanks for using JustAnswer!