My 6 month old boxer ate New England Clam chowder that my daughter left in her room. He is not eating or drinking he is very mopey and doesn't want to move. Please tell me he is going to be okay I just gave him to my kids for Christmas
Type of Animal: Boxer
Age: 5 months
Name of Dog: Cheech
My big concern is he is not drinking anything . . .I have tried Ice Cubes (his favorite) Syringe. I didn't know about toxic foods for dogs until now. I am pretty sure it would have had Garlic and/or Onion
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!
Typically - what we are seeing here is stomach upset and nausea - and it would be uncommon to be anything worse.
Therapies to consider include:
A bland diet:
A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.
Antacids for stomach upset can be used as well - Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE is a common example.
Monitor for loss of appetite more than 24 hours, vomiting, or diarrhea.
But in most cases this is not serious at all and mild stomach upset alone.
It has been about 18 hours and he still has not drank anything
He won't put anything in his mouth
You can try to offer small amounts of pedialyte for hydration and electrolytes (LINK HERE). You can even purchase a dropper from your local pharmacy to offer the water/pedialyte mixture by mouth.
Do you think this could be fatal?
It would be extremely unlikely if just the soup
Thank you . . . I hope it was just the soup
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
I will give him Pedia
Emergency and Critical Care Specialist