Dr. Braha
Dr. Braha, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

Dog pacing. Wont lay down for more than a few moments.

Customer Question

Dog pacing. Won't lay down for more than a few moments.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Braha replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Braha : Hi there thank you for posting your question
Dr. Braha : How long has this been ongoing for? Has this ever happened in the past?
Customer: About an hour. No.
Customer: SHe tries to lay down but gets up right away and paces around.
Dr. Braha : Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Customer: No. She also ate 1/2 a can of food a minute ago.
Customer: This is very uncharachteristic.
Customer: She just seems nervous. Pacing. Discomfort.
Dr. Braha : have you tried taking her outside to see if this calms her down?
Customer: No fever. 100.7.
Customer: Yes. She ran around. No change.
Dr. Braha : Can you press on the sides of her abdomen to see if there is any pain?
Customer: No discomfort from what I can tell. No bulging.
Dr. Braha : And can you check under her lips to make sure her gums are pink and moist?
Customer: Looks okay
Dr. Braha : The half of can of food she ate was that offered and shebate willingly ?
Dr. Braha : Any phobias storms, loud noises?
Customer: Basically walking in circles around me on the bed right now. Lays down occasionally but gets up oddly. Then stops at times and just stares. Repeat. No phobias. No storms. Food willingly. She won't eat if I tell her to.
Customer: When let outside full sprint around the yard with a toy.
Customer: Shes never acted like this before.
Dr. Braha : It is possible she could have had a seizure and is in a post-ictal stage
Customer: Strange. :/
Dr. Braha : Otherwise if she seems herself and not in any pain it's hard to rule in any illnesses that could be related to her change in behaviour
Customer: I pushed her off the bed and she landed odd since she was wrapped up in a shirt. That's the only thing I can think of.
Customer: Well he definitely does not se herself.
Customer: She was fine for an hour after that.
Dr. Braha : There is two things I can recommend tonight. If you think she is in pain we can give her some advil to take of the edge. If she seems distraught we can give her something to sedate her
Dr. Braha : Aspirin sorry not advil!
Customer: I think some sort of discomfort but I don't know.
Dr. Braha : If she was to have hurt herself after falling oddly I would not expect her to be so willing to walk and run around
Customer: What is the other thing to give her.
Dr. Braha : The only thing you may possibly have around the house to calm her would be benadryl
Customer: Now sHe is hiding in the closet.
Dr. Braha : Unless you have ever received the medication acepromazine from a Veterinarian?
Customer: No.
Dr. Braha : Was she by your side the hour leading up to this unusual behavior?
Customer: How much aspirin how much Benadryl. Mix?
Customer: Yeah just sleeping.
Dr. Braha : I will copy you a link to an article talking about then post ictal phase which may explain her unusual behaviour
Dr. Braha : http://www.ehow.com/about_6515426_postictal-phase-seizure.html
Customer: Is this likely to HaPpen again?
Dr. Braha : You may just want to try and continue to comfort her until this feeling wears off if this in indeed the cause
Dr. Braha : There is a condition in dogs called idiopathic epilepsy which is rather common
Dr. Braha : To rule this condition in you would need to have her thoroughly worked up to rule out any other causes
Customer: What causes a seizure and how do I know it's happening? How long can this last?
Dr. Braha : The seizure episodes can be very mild and not a complete loss of consciousness. It can last a few seconds to several minutes.
Dr. Braha : The term idiopathic in front of the name of the syndrome means we do not exactly know why they occur
Dr. Braha : Some dogs may have only one, other one a years and for others it may be more frequent
Customer: How long do I expect to see this odd behavior?
Dr. Braha : http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health-Center/Brain-Spinal-Cord-Nerve-Disorders/Seizures/Symptoms.aspx This talks about signs of a seizure that is about to occur and what to expect during the seizure for your reading afterwards
Dr. Braha : The post ictal phase can last one hour on average but there is no hard fast rule
Customer: Ok thanks.
Dr. Braha : They can have vision impairments during this time which may lead to increased anxiety
Dr. Braha : based on your description of everything you have mentioned withoutnhaving the physical animal in front of me to examine this would be my most likely presumption of what is currently going on with Penny.
Customer: Thanks. I'll call my vet in the am.
Dr. Braha, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian