Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a lump on her chest?

Customer Question

My dog has a lump on her chest?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

How long ago did you first notice this lump?

Has it grown larger since you first noticed it?

Is it on top of the skin or under the skin?

Is it firm or soft?

Is it freely movable or fixed in one spot?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We notice it 2 months ago. No it hasn't grown. It's under the skin. It's soft and movable. It like a ball.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Does it feel kind of squishy, like fat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kinda squishy.. It's not hard
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Most likely, you are seeing a lipoma, which is a benign deposition of fat. It is also called a fatty tumor. It is very commonly seen in dogs as they age. They typically don't cause any problems, unless they grow large enough to impede movement, which is not very common. With that being said, it is always recommended to have your vet aspirate it just in case. There are some cancerous tumors that can mimic lipomas, such as mast cell tumors. It is not a very common presentation, but it is possible. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It can't be a cyst? Does the vet remove it?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
A cyst is possible, but if it feels like a lump of fat, it is most likely a lipoma. A cyst would feel more fluid filled, like a water balloon. If your vet does aspirate it, though, they should be able to extract fluid from a cyst. From a lipoma, they will only get fat cells. The vet can remove this mass if you would like. Most of my clients will opt to monitor it, but I do mention that the smaller it is, the easier it is to remove. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So its prob not cancer/tumor?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
From your description, it sounds more like a lipoma than a cancerous tumor. Cancerous tumors tend to be more firm and fixed. Like I said, though, it is always a good idea to have your vet aspirate it for microscopic examination. 99.9% of the time, though, these type of masses are lipomas.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will take my dog to the vet. Thank you so much! :)
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good luck!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My dog eye is shut close and when I try opening it green stuff comes out
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.

Hello, again. My suspicion is that there is an ulceration and subsequent infection on the cornea. Shutting the eye closed is usually a reaction to pain. Your vet will need to numb the eye and stain it to look for an ulcer. If superficial, it should heal up with no problems with a topical antibiotic eye ointment. If deep, it may require oral antibiotics as well. Pain medications will most likely be needed in either case. I would have her seen tomorrow for this. If it is an ulcer, the sooner it is treated, the better the prognosis. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can it just be irritation?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
It is unlikely to just be irritation. You don't get that much of a pain response and greenish discharge with just irritation. It would most likely just be red with smaller degrees of discharge. Hope this helps.