Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

my dog has two lumps on both sides of his back above his hind

my dog has two lumps on both sides of his back above his hind legs that are hard he does not seem to be in pain because he not acting any different still as active as always eats the same and doesnt have problems going to the bathroom but im worried because i dont know what it is or if it life threating or not i dont have the money to take him anywhere please help
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Hi - I believe that you're noticing the paralumbar fat pads that often alarm owners but are quite normal. Overweight dogs and dogs that lose muscle mass will have more prominent fat pads which appear in the same place on both sides of the back above the hind legs - just as you've said. There's no need for you to have him seen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there anything i can do to make them go down and is there any chance at all that they are tumors
It would be quite unlikely that a dog would develop symmetrical tumors - tumors appearing at the same location but on different sides. If your dog is overweight, weight reduction would make them go down. Those painless bumps consist of normal fat. While unsightly they're not dangerous. Many people also deposit fat in unwelcome places. The genetic predisposition for this to occur is difficult to counter without surgery - which isn't appropriate for your dog. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the reason why i ask is because they showed up overnight and he isnt really overweight maybe a little
Thank you. I can't think of anything that would appear suddenly in those locations. Only lymph nodes could enlarge in a symmetrical fashion but there aren't any lymph nodes you can see where you've described those lumps to be. I still vote for paralumbar fat pads.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
maybe lumps is a inaccurate description is more like the muscles in that spot are real swollen because u cant see it you can only feel it when i push on them or squeeze it a little it feels like his muscles are bigger and bulgier than normal
Yes, you've described those fat pads very well - a smooth, broad, non-painful "swelling" that lies above the paralumbar musculature in the same location on both sides of your pet. Your question is a common one that we JA experts receive. I don't believe that you have anything to worry about; these won't adversely affect him. Think of them as "love saddles".