DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc

My dog ate a whole loaf of banana bread yesterday. What to do?

My dog ate a whole loaf of banana bread yesterday. She was up all night with diarrhea. She is drinking but not eating and has started to urinate in the house, which she never does. I believe it is an UTI? Should I just take her to the vet tomorrow morning or should I do an ER visit?

Hi there,
Can you tell me about how much your dog weighs?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She weighs aprox. 100 lbs. She is a 4 yr old lab mix.

Ok, banana bread is not directly toxic but can cause severe gastro-enteritis (inflammation of the stomach/intestines), leading to diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, and inappetence. I would suggest not offering her any additional food today and just give her small amounts of water (or ice cubes) at a time to keep her hydrated. Pedialyte can also be added to the water to help her hydration. You can give 2 mg of Imodium (loperamide) every 12 hours to help the diarrhea. When you start attempting to get her to eat again (in 12-24 hours), offer a bland diet such as boiled chicken and white rice.
The urination issue is likely unrelated, and I would recommend getting her into a veterinarian on Monday for a urine analysis and blood work. However, if her breath smells sweet (as with renal failure or advanced diabetes), if her gums appear pale, white, yellow, gray, or dry/tacky, if she starts vomiting, or if you notice straining or blood in the stool or urine, she should be seen immediately.
I hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much. I will try this and get her to the vet in the morning.