Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

My dog is shaking her head, restless, throwing up

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

How long has this been going on?

Customer: She has been not quite herself with digestive upset for perhaps two weeks, nothing real defined throwing up a little diarrea. The head shaking just today
dogdoc4u :

Is she scratching her ears at all?

Customer: She has a little, when I feel her ears it does not bother her at all
dogdoc4u :

So how frequent is the vomiting?

dogdoc4u :

Has the vomiting and diarrhea gotten any more progressive since first noted? Any changes in diet or activity/ stress the past two weeks?

Customer: Our daughter and family visited for 11 days with their new 10 week old puppy they left about 10 days ago. No change in diet. Diarrea and vomiting intermittent and mild. The head shaking concerns me
dogdoc4u :

Is there any odor or debris in the ears?

Customer: Now
dogdoc4u :

No?

Customer: No and just before Christmas she went to vet and go a clean bill of health and caught up on all shots
dogdoc4u :

OK, things can change in 3 weeks time

dogdoc4u :

Do you have any benadryl?

dogdoc4u :

Is there any chance she could have gotten anything in her ears? Let's say, running through a field?

Customer: I think so
dogdoc4u :

On a scale of 1 to 10, ten being the most severe for scratching/ itching the ears where would you put her discomfort?

Customer: I don't think tha she got any thing in her ears. She is not really scratching her ears she is shaking her head. Right now she has her head burryed in my armpit and only moves to shake her head every 30 seconds
dogdoc4u :

Wow, ok Poor thing!

dogdoc4u :

I have allergies and if there is nothing in her ears that would be my top concern. My allergies cause my ears to be really itchy and how dogs react is by shaking their head

dogdoc4u :

The benadryl should help if that is the case, 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours

Customer: I guess u am wondering how urgent. I can get her to the vet in am .
Customer: Liquid or capsule?
dogdoc4u :

What do you have?

dogdoc4u :

So where would you put her on the itching scale I mentioned?

Customer: Not really itching, 1 on scale . Have tablets 25mg she is 5 lbs
dogdoc4u :

OK so 1/8 tablet

dogdoc4u :

Sorry, I meant discomfort 1 to 10

Customer: I really don't know she is not a cuddlier but hasent moved from my.arm pit.
dogdoc4u :

I would try the benadryl and give her 1-2 hours

dogdoc4u :

If there is no change then I would consider the er

dogdoc4u :

Does she seem dizzy at all?

Customer: A bit
dogdoc4u :

OK, the dizziness would make her want to hide her head

dogdoc4u :

When she is on the ground is she circling at all or falling over as if she is drunk?

dogdoc4u :

Or having difficulty seeing?

Customer: No, just seems a bit out of sorts, rejecting pill inserted in chicken
dogdoc4u :

That's good she is not showing any of these signs

dogdoc4u :

Can you pill her?

Customer: How?
dogdoc4u :

Finger down her throat

dogdoc4u :

Or you can crush it and put it in a little water and give it to her in a syringe/ dropper

dogdoc4u :

It is really the only thing that might help her

dogdoc4u :

If you are having difficulty and are really worried, it might warrant a visit to the er sooner rather then later...they can give her an injection if needed

Customer: I will get
Customer: Pill into her
dogdoc4u :

OK great, I will wait with you if you like

Customer: Working on pill
dogdoc4u :

OK, good luck!

Customer: Got pill in . Now just wait. When would you suggest vet?
dogdoc4u :

If there is no change in the next 1-2 hours

dogdoc4u :

Can you tell me, is she able to focus on you or are her eyes darting side to side?

Customer: She can focus. Looks lethargic. Sad.
dogdoc4u :

Sorry...

dogdoc4u :

If you are concerned and there is absolutely no change in the next hour, then I would go in

dogdoc4u :

There is nothing worse then sitting by and watching them suffer. It is probably hurting you more then her!

Customer: Thanks. What am I supposed to do regarding our chat?
dogdoc4u :

How do you mean?

dogdoc4u :

If you are satisfied with our conversation, please press ACCEPT as I am not compensated in any other way by justanswer

Customer: I have never done this before. Am I supposed to pay. Would I be able to recontact?
dogdoc4u :

You have already paid a deposit. By pressing the accept button it means you are satisfied with our conversation

dogdoc4u :

If you have additional questions after you ACCEPT, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

dogdoc4u :

Now, from what I understand, you can also list me as your preferential contact :)

Customer: Thank for your help.
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.