Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has scabs on the back. What is it?

i just noticed small scabs on my dogs back. what is it / she does not have fleas. She is scratching alot latley.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I am a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How old is your dog?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Besides the scabs, does the skin appear flaky?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is 10yr old minature pincher. About a month. She has always had dry skin that flaked. It doesn't seem any worse.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
1- Does she lick her paws?
2- Is she itchy only where the scabs are or all over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she has always licked her paws really bad. She seems to itch all over. And I don't know how she scratches the ones on her back. She does lay on her back and wiggle around lately.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

The symptoms that you are describing are consistent with a bacterial infection (superficial pyoderma). Bacterial skin infections in dogs can be a primary problem or secondary to something else like allergies (food or environmental), hormonal disorders, etc. to name a few causes. The fact she has a history of licking her paws excessively we strongly have to consider allergies (food or environmental). This is what you can do:

One of the most common causes for itchy skin in dogs is an underlying allergy (food or environmental). The first place to start is doing a food trial during 6-8 weeks. This is what you can do:

1- Change her diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what he normally has in the past. For example: Taste of Wild Salmon. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement.

2- Start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1mg for every pound body weight every 12 hours. For example if he weighs 10 lbs he will require 10mg every 12 hours.

3- Supplement with Fish Oil, 20mg of EPA for every pound body weight once a day, long term.

4- Bath her with chlorhexiderm shampoo 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks than once every 21 days.

5- Have her checked by your family veterinarian for oral antibiotics.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter