Dr. Maggie
Dr. Maggie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian, General Practitioner

dog: is digging at her ears and shaking her head she very restless

My dog is digging at her ears and shaking her head she very restless is there something i can put in her ears until i can take her to the vet in the morning

Hi this is Dr. Maggie - I am going to try to answer your question today.

Sounds like your dog definitely has an ear infection of some sort, so its great that you are planning on getting her in to see a vet tomorrow.

As far as making her comfortable tonight, I would actually recommend giving her some benadryl if you have any at home. The dose we give dogs is a little higher than humans get, we dose dogs at one adult sized (25mg) tablet per 25 pounds every 8-12 hours.

The side effects you will see with benadryl in dogs is drowsiness, just like we see with people. Just make sure that if you give her benadryl it isn't one of those combination human drugs with another medication in it. It should be just benadryl (diphenhydramine).

As far as cleaning out her ears tonight, it would actually be a great idea for you to leave them just as they are. Often when we get dogs in with ear infections where the owner has already cleaned the ears out prior to visiting us, it can make our job harder because we can't see what was going on quite as well. Plus, if they are really bothering her, it will be the medication in the ear that soothes the ears rather than the cleaner.

Hopefully that answered your question. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

If you found this information helpful, please click the green 'Accept' so I can get compensated for my time. Thanks and best of luck with your dog!