Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

My dog is acting very quiet, he usually is full of all kinds

Customer Question

My dog is acting very quiet, he usually is full of all kinds of life this am he was very quiet and lethargic. He did eat food but is just not acting right, He has had lose stools for about 3 days whch I thought was due to his new food, now I am not so sure.
Submitted: 2 years ago via dog-illnesses.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 2 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Customer :

Hello

Dr. BJ Hughes :

So his energy is reduced, appetite is fine. How is water consumption, and eliminations?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I understand his stools have been loose for 3 days (soft and formed, or fluidy)?

Customer :

He did not drink this morning amd he has loose stools in his crate this am when I went to put him out. He was acting fine at 11pm last night and was drinking well then

Customer :

His stools are soft and formed

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If the food change was quickly rather than over a 3-5 days timeframe to change over slowly -- then this might cause the stools -- but usually this is not associated with lack of energy. Is there a chance that you could get a rectal temperature on him?

Customer :

No I had to leave for work but am trying to get him into my vet this morning, he did not feel any hotter than usual when I was petting him

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This has not gone on very long -- but in puppies, they are a bit more fragile than an adult (just like little kids) -- and it would be best to have a quick visit to the vet if you are very concerned so it is good that you are trying to make this arrangement. Be sure that you encourage him to drink water -- and do not encourage any more food at this point. If you cannot get into the vet -- it would be wise to check in on him during the day. YOu can check his gums to be sure they are pink -- and if you press on them, that they go white then quickly pink when released. This checks basic circulation .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

With diarrhea -- you can also give pepto bismol -- so if this is still continuing, if you are not able to get in right away -- then going to a very bland food (cooked white rice for 24 hours -- in small amounts --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and then slowly chnage over to the food over a day or two with the rice....... this might ease the transition. It is possible for there to be a sensitivity to an ingredient -- that could cause diarrhea -

Customer :

Ok I was planning on taking him in I have only had him 3 weeks but this is the first time he has acted like this, I will do that Thank you usually I can get a vet appt easily , I am kinda perferred customer as I had a Shit zu that had to fgo monthly due to her illness until she passed.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very good -- It is good that you noticed this right away -- and it may be simply food change, but it is wise to get the other things ruled out.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And if this just started, with no vomiting, then if you get him in today that will help ease your mind and assure his health.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are most welcome;

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian