DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc

My dog has been dry heaving on and off all day. He doesnt

My dog has been dry heaving on and off all day. He doesn't seem to be feeling well. He enjoyed a walk, and has pooped at least twice, but one of those was pretty runny. Is this something I need to call the emergency line for the vet or will it work it self out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
I will do my best to answer your question. Sometimes dogs will eat something that becomes lodged within the very back of the throat and it makes it difficult to visualize on examination. Another consideration is that he may have inhaled something that is irritating his lungs. Kennel cough is an infectious disease that often leads to a dry heave sound and is typically self-resolving. Finally, he could have a primary heart or lung disease such as heartworm disease, congenital (genetic) heart defect, etc although based on how suddenly clinical signs started, I do not expect this.
I would recommend ensuring his gums stay pink- they should not be gray, white, yellowish, or pale. They should also be moist- not dry or tacky. Ensure that the lymph nodes around the neck are normal in size- palpate the area under the jaw, near the windpipe (throat area) and shoulder area to ensure there are no lumps or bumps.
If this all looks normal and he continues to act ok at home, his clinical signs will likely self resolve. If things do not improve by tomorrow or worsen at any time, he should be seen for x-rays of his chest and throat.
I hope this helps,
-Dr. Jessica