Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I need give my dog an enema he is constipated from eating

I need give my dog an enema he is constipated from eating rocks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- When was the last time he had a bowel movement?
2- Is he straining to defecate?
3- Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He had a bowel movement 2 days ago he hasn't tried to go since then that I've seen he didn't eat this morning and he has thrown up phlegm 2 times today
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
1- Do you suspect he ate a rock or you saw him eat a rock?
2- Is he lethargic?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He eats rocks all the time and he's had this problem two other times before so I'm tring to save some money on vet bill by being able to give him an enema my self and maybe you have a reason as to why he needs to eat rocks?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Vomiting certainly can be caused by eating rocks, but, there are other causes as well like a simple upset stomach, infections or even part of a systemic disease. Giving an enema if there is the possibility of an obstructed foreign body is Not indicated as you can cause perforation of the intestines leading to fatal consequences. Instead of giving an enema or a laxative follow the below recommendation, though conservative it is often effective:

1- Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can find Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. If you do not have pepcid ac leave without anything. Do not give pepto bismol.

2- No food or water for the next 6-8 hours. Need to give belly time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. The idea behind the rice is to help pass things (rock) in the feces. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- I do not have a good explanation why dogs eat rocks, socks, shoes, etc. Often, this type of behavior is a sign of boredom, can be caused by nutritional deficiency, etc. In dogs who are known to have this type of behavior the best treatment is avoidance.

5- If after doing the above you do not see any improvement. Then, he will need to be seen by a veterinarian for an xray. Consider having him checked by your local ASPCA or shelter where they often offer veterinary services at lower cost.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter