Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

Dear Dog Veterinary Expert, I need help with...a cure for chronic

Dear Dog Veterinary Expert, I need help with...a cure for chronic uti's for my 3 yr old female shih tzu
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

What tests has your vet performed on her urine so far?

Has she been on antibiotics? If so which ones?

Any urine cultures or x-rays performed?

Does she ever leak urine when she is sleeping?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she has had 2 sterile urine extractions in the last 30 days. she has suffered these uti's for aprx 2 1/2 yrs. she had xrays come back showing nothing.ultasound also nothing.we changed vets.current vet put her on prescrip diet royal canine SO.she is currently on clavamox. she has been prescribed zenequin &batril in the past and found to b highly allergic to both. she never leaks urine when sleeping.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Is she urinating in the house?

Does she seem to improve on the antibiotics/Clavamox?

Has your vet detected any problems with her female anatomy or her vulva?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she nvr urinates in the house.she seems to mprove on the antibiotics but soon aftr gets another uti.i took her to a specialist recently & they said her vulva was an "innie" and wants to do surgery to remove the fold ??? im not sold on surgery as she had a hard time recovering her spay surgery. and she has been thru so much already.what do u think about the surgery on the vulva
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again for the reply.

Most likely her chronic infections are caused by her vulva being tucked in like this unfortunately. I agree with the specialist that this most likely will need to be repaired to completely cure her of these infections. This reason why I would recommend the surgery to reduce the skin flap over her vulva is because she is most likely dribbling urine on the extra skin. The urine that collects here is likely to attract bacteria to the skin which then unfortunately ascends into her urinary bladder causing the urinary tract infections. I have seen many dogs that suffer from this and the best way to help them with this problem is to have the extra skin flap removed to prevent them from urinating on themselves. Therefore I do think surgery would be your best option for a cure. Surgery and anesthesia does have risks, but if you were to have this performed by a specialist then they will have much better monitoring equipment to keep an eye on her blood pressure, heart rate and rhythm, respiratory rate and most likely her carbon dioxide output. If they are monitoring for all of these vital signs then they can foresee most of the complications of anesthesia before the would cause harm to her.

Most dogs do very well with the procedure and I believe this will help her end all of the discomfort from having UTI's.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.