Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas
49838867

My 9 month old schnoodle ate part of a hockey puck, shes been

My 9 month old schnoodle ate part of a hockey puck, she's been vomiting every few minutes for about an hour, now it's just creamy mucus, no black bits anymore, is this dangerous or what should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

Dr Kara :

Hello, I am very sorry to hear about your pup.
When did she eat the hockey puck?

Customer:

probably a few hours ago

Dr Kara :

Did she start vomiting within a couple hours of her eating the puck?
Do you know how much of the puck she ate and do you believe that she vomited it all back up?

Customer:

yes probably about an hour ago, she chewed it in little bits all around the edges and the first few times there were quit a few black bits, the last few times was mostly mucus

Dr Kara :

The big concern is that a piece made it out of her stomach and is now lodged in her small intestine.
If you press on her belly is it tense and painful or soft and comfortable?

Dr Kara :

OK it may be that she has vomited enough that she has caused an esophagitis, which is really a burning of the esophagus due to all the stomach acid coming back up.
It is still possible though that there is a lodged piece.
I'm not sure that a hockey puck would show up radiographically.
You have a couple options.

Customer:

shes just had a bowel movement and her belly is soft now

Customer:

shes now drinking a bit of water

Dr Kara :

One is to take away all food and water for the night. Let her stomach rest. Give her pepcid ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tab per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
In a few hours (or in the morning if she seems to settle) offer ice cubes for her to lick. If all goes well a couple hours after that offer a small amount of water.
In 24 hours start a bland diet of 50% boiled hamburger (or chicken) and 50 % boiled white rice. feed a very small meal initially.

Dr Kara :

If she starts vomiting again at any point then get her seen. They will like check an abdominal radiograph for abnormal gas patterns which signify a blockage or give her barium to swallow and see if it gets hung up any where.

Customer:

its 1AM here and i dont have any pepcid ac, I have

Customer:

sorry I have chewable

Customer:

chewable Tums wow sorry

Dr Kara :

That's OK. Unfortunately tums aren't the best.
They absorb the stomach acid which just tells the stomach to pump out more acid, whereas pepcid and prilosec actually stop acid production.
And the chalky will often make dogs vomit.

Dr Kara :

I'd just let her lick some ice cubes to soothe her throat a little at this point and skip the tums.

Dr Kara :

You don't have prilosec (omeprazole) either?

Customer:

alright

Customer:

no, i have zantac (ranitidine)

Dr Kara :

How much does she weigh?
That might work if you have small enough tablets.

Dr Kara :

What milligram tablets do you have?

Customer:

she weighs about 20 pounds, and the zantac is 150 mg

Dr Kara :

The dose is 1/2 to 1 milligram per pound every 12 hours.
So she would need 10mg to 20mg every 12 hours.
If you can 1/8th the tablets give 1/8th of a tab every 12 hours.

Customer:

so just put it down thr back of her throat

Dr Kara :

Yes or you can crush it, mix with a little bit of water and squirt it in with a medicine dropper.

Customer:

perfect I can do that, thanks very much, so if there's no vomiting tomorrow, I dont have to take her to the vet??

Dr Kara :

You'll want to squirt it in as far back as you can. Or you can hold her mouth closed and dribble it in between the molars on the side of her mouth where her upper and lower lips meet. There's a small gap there you can sneak the dropper in.

Dr Kara :

No, if she's able to eat the bland diet without vomiting and feels well you may have dodged a big problem with her.
But if the vomiting restarts have her looked at.

Dr Kara :

You will likely need to feed the bland diet for a couple days to settle her stomach, then start mixing in her regular food slowly, convert her back over 5 to 7 days time.

Customer:

thats great thanks very much no one has been able to sleep tonight so we all feel much better.

Dr Kara :

I'm sure. It's horrible when they are so sick.

Customer:

thanks again good night

Dr Kara :

Can I answer anything else?

Dr Kara :

Very welcome. Take care. And if you think of it let me know how things go tomorrow.
You can just reply to this question and I'll see it.

Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.