Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience
55012488

cat: Ivebeen fosteringhereforafewmonthsthathasbeenvomiting

Hi again!

I have an adult cat I've been fostering here for a few months that has been vomiting. A few days ago she vomited three times, once yellow, once green, and once red. It seemed to stop so I left it alone. She didn't seem in pain or distressed and she's been confined to the same room so I don't think she caught anything.

She vomited green last night and now hasn't eaten in 24h. 

She is FeLV/FIV negative and tested negative for parasites, though she did have Coccidia in the past. Stools have been looking normal except she didn't have a bowel movement today (probably from the lack of appetite).

I just offered her some wet food and she seems a bit interested though won't touch her dry.

Anything you can think of?

Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Hi - I'm willing to give my cats up to three days to remiss on their own from simple vomiting - that which occurs secondary to eating new, inappropriate or spoiled foods or non-food items. Any longer than that and particularly if there is evidence of bleeding ("once red") I have to treat these patients parenterally - injectable antiemetics, antacids and whatever other medication I deem necessary after examining them and performing diagnostics. These patients dehydrate rapidly - cats aren't very good at replacing their lost fluids - so I always give them supplemental fluids - either subQ or IV depending upon the severity of their dehydration. Avoid giving anything orally at this time - neither food nor drugs should be administered as they will likely irritate an already irritated gastrointestinal tract. I don't expect anything too serious at her young age but she sounds as if she needs to be seen in a hospital setting. Poor Kinnee...
Somehow your question came up on the dog veterinary question board without my name attached to the question title, yet your request to speak to me appeared as usual in my email client. I'm glad I was looking at my email at the time!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How odd! I'm glad you caught it! I'm not sure why I can't message you under CAT veterinary though, haha.

She's kind of odd though, it was a few days ago that she vomited three times then went back to eating, drinking, and having normal bowel movements, didn't vomit during those days, then vomited yesterday. She doesn't seem dehydrated and is still excited to see me... Do you think I can watch her for another day or do I need to take her in the morning?

Is there any relevance to the color of the vomit? The dark green is very peculiar to me. I know yellow is stomach bile. Not sure why she would throw up blood though? Would it be from vomiting too roughly the first couple of times?

I already got her to eat the wet food unfortunately. I thought since it was 24 hours since she ate that it might be ok to put a little in her stomach if she would have it. I guess I just have to watch and see if she vomits that as well.
(In the future be sure to put "bigislandvet only" in your question title. I would be upset if another expert grabbed your questions) Predicated on what you just told me, yes, by all means "watchful wait". While bile and ingesta can range from tan to yellow to green, red is indicative of bleeding - usually from badly irritated gastric mucosa rather than a gastric or duodenal ulcer. That kind of irritation can result from the primary insult - infection or inflammation - or simply from forceful vomiting. Yes, let's see how she handles the food. It's a good sign that she has an appetite and now I'm even more willing to hold off bringing her in to be seen.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was replying in a message box under your profile page so I thought those go straight to you but I will remember to add your name to the title too!

Her appetite is for the smelly wet stuff so I will see how she holds it down and offer more in the morning if there's no vomit. I will let you know!

Thanks again!
You're always welcome - you know that. Thank you again. The message box did go to my email notification. Maybe there's a bug when it comes to the question list. It wouldn't be the first time. Let me know how things go tomorrow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good evening,

There's no more vomiting but she's not eating a whole lot. Think I can give her the weekend to settle her stomach or should I give her something to calm it down? She's appears to be drinking and does have some interest in the wet food, just not as much as usual. No dehydration thankfully. I haven't seen a bowl movement but I think that's due to the lack of food.

Thanks!
As long as she isn't vomiting, try some over the counter famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.2mg/kg once daily. I wouldn't expect much in the way of a bowel movement in an anorexic cat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if this is noteworthy, but this was a fairly reserved cat that is now acting ridiculously friendly, almost as though she is in heat. She is rubbing up against everything and yelling for attention. It would be impossible for her to actually be in heat though considering she was spayed a few months back!
That tells me that she's feeling pretty well. While proper spaying should preclude the idea that she's in heat that isn't always so. Ovarian remnant syndrome describes the inadvertent leaving of a small piece of viable ovary. You're not allowed to have any more craziness, so please don't have her tested until you're absolutely convinced that she's really truly acting as if she were in heat.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If she's not looking immediately sick then I will just keep watch. More focused on her needing to eat more first! Thanks again :)
She's certainly not acting like an ill cat. Yes, again "watchful waiting" is appropriate. You have my permission to spoil her rotten. Thank you for the umpteenth time. You're a pleasure to speak to.