Dr.Kitty
Dr.Kitty, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  For over 10 years I have practiced clinical medicine, helping dogs and cats.

my dog had acl surgery how long should she limp

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Kitty replied 2 years ago.

Dr.Kitty :

Hi there. I have some questions about Diamond's surgery. How long ago was her surgery? How long was she limping prior to surgery? What type of surgical procedure was done (ex. TPLO)?

Dr.Kitty :

Was Diamond's surgery performed by a boarded veterinary surgeon?

Dr.Kitty :

Is she on any medications?

Customer:

4 weeks got her to the vet the next day dr hammer

Customer:

yes tplo

Dr.Kitty :

Sounds like she had a sudden injury and had surgery the next day, correct?

Customer:

yes

Dr.Kitty :

Great that you had the surgery done. Dr. Hammer is a boarded veterinary surgeon?

Customer:

thought I took her to the best

Dr.Kitty :

I'm just trying to get the sequence of events. I don't know Dr. Hammer but a boarded surgeon or very experienced general practitioner is best for this type of surgery. Has Diamond had a recheck at the hospital since the surgery? She probably at least went in for suture removal, any other visits?

Customer:

no replay?

Customer:

went for a sulture removale after one week the next two weeks but they missed one

Customer:

my question is should she still be limping

Customer:

please give me an answer

Dr.Kitty :

Recovery from a cruciate injury can vary, but I would expect some improvement in weight bearing by now. She might not be normal, but she should be using the leg somewhat. What are you seeing at this point? Is she holding the leg up when walking, or just barely using her toes, or limping a little, or?

Customer:

walking fine on slow walks but not sitting squarely on her leg

Customer:

using her leg fine on walks but limping

Dr.Kitty :

In general, I like to recheck a patient at 2, 4, 8, and 12 weeks after a surgery like this. We can check for signs of infection or problems with the metal implants. Radiographs are taken at 8 weeks, some surgeons also take them sooner - around 4 weeks. If I'm understanding you, Diamond has improved since surgery but you're not sure if she's on track like she should be? She may be, but it would be best to have her examined to be sure. This is a major surgery, and the recovery is half of the repair. If she has been too active that can affect her recovery as well. Given the potential complications of this surgery, it is best to have her checked.

Customer:

she goes in on this Friday

Dr.Kitty :

Great. Glad to know she's being monitored. If you're concerned that she is limping more than she should at this point, decreasing her walks may help.

Customer:

my question is should she be limping at all?

Customer:

is it normal

Customer:

please answer this and ill be fine four weeks on friday after surgery

Dr.Kitty :

It can be. Limping is not something anyone can evaluate unless they are there in person. A little bit of a limp is different from a severe limp, and that is something that should be evaluated in person. If her limp is the same as it was before the surgery, no, that would not be normal. That would be concerning. If she is improved but not normal, but still making strides in the right direction, that might be okay for her. And that would also be interpreted with her exam on Friday. The recovery process varies for all of us, so I wish I could give you a straight yes/no, but there are variables. I hope I've helped :)

Dr.Kitty, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: For over 10 years I have practiced clinical medicine, helping dogs and cats.