Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

what can I use on my dog with red swollen vulva? She has been

what can I use on my dog with red swollen vulva? She has been on antibiotics for a month for a terrible ear infection and now has an apparent yeast infection. I can take her to the vet tomorrow, but she is suffering now. any Advice?

Dr Kara :

Hello, I am very sorry to hear about your girl's discomfort.

Customer:

me too. She is pitiful. I have an RX of Fulvicin from a while back from another dog..not sure if it would help or hurt?

Dr Kara :

Is the area that is red and swollen the vulva itself or the area around it?
Is it moist and exudative or just red and swollen?
Is she licking?
Any increase in urination frequency? Does it seem uncomfortable for her to urinate? Any straining?

Customer:

the area around the vulva is red, approx one half inch around. She does seem to be urinating more frequently, Not sure if she is licking more or not.

Customer:

I have just returned from work (I am a nurse, people type) so not sure about how often she is urinating. She is definitely more red and swollen than she was this morning.

Dr Kara :

Thanks that helps.
With those symptoms it may be that she does have a yeast infection around the vulvar folds or a urinary tract infection that has led to urine scald around her vulva.
What antibiotic was she on?

Customer:

Cefaloxin and Prednisone for a long time

Dr Kara :

Thanks.
We do need to curtail licking as that will just add to the moisture and make things worse. If you have an e-collar I would put it on her.
If she will sit in an epsom salt bath made with cool water that will help.
Or if you happen to have chlorhexiderm shampoo that would be great too as it is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.

Customer:

Could I get some Monistat and try that?

Customer:

I do have some chlorhexiderm shampoo I think. Of course I dont have an e-collar.

Dr Kara :

After her soak dry the area well and apply a very light amount of cortisone cream or something like otomax that has antibacterial, antifungal and a steroid around the vulva (not on the mucous membranes itself).
Because we don't know for sure if this is yeast or bacterial I hesitate to use a pure antifungal.

Dr Kara :

Definitely don't use an oral antifungal yet.
With long term steroids I wonder if she is having some urine dribbling/incontinence.

Dr Kara :

That would definitely explain her problem.

Customer:

I will wash her bottom now and use some Entederm on her. This poor dog. she is a champion intact cocker spaniel that has had so many health issues, that I think I will neuter her. Hate to, but these ears, etc are not good to pass along to a litter of puppies. Thank you for your advice. Best 18 dollars I've spent in a long time. Donna

Dr Kara :

For tonight I would recommend just trying to get her comfortable.
I'd want to swab the area and see what we can pick up as far as yeast or bacteria on the swab.
I agree unfortunately I don't think she's breeding material with her issues.

Customer:

Thanks Dr Kara.

Dr Kara :

Best of luck with the poor girl. Very welcome. I think Entederm is fine for tonight.