Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog will not take the usual chewable tablets for heartworm

My dog will not take the usual chewable tablets for heartworm and fleas. I don't like the topical kind. Do they make an old fashioned pill for flea and heartworm I can use?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Stacy :

What chewable tablet are you using for fleas? Does she take that? The Comfortis flea tablets are the only one I'm aware of and they just came out with a combinatino flea/heartworm product.

Customer:

I have tried

Dr. Stacy :

Comfortis is the only good oral flea preventative. Personally, my dogs have not been willing to eat it. Many of the topical flea preventatives are very safe. Frontline and Advantage are safe. I don't think there are many other options in that catagory

Dr. Stacy :

As far as heartworm...you do have choices.

Customer:

I have tried comfortis but she will not take it. I am trying to find medication for fleas and heartrworm in the old fashioned pill I can hide in a hotdog or push down her throat. Does anyone make these anymore?

Dr. Stacy :

Heartgard used to make their product in pill form, but they pulled it off the market a few years ago.

Dr. Stacy :

No one else makes a oral flea preventative.

Dr. Stacy :

There are generic brands of heartgard that are smaller and may be easier to give, but the are all considered

Dr. Stacy :

chewable so they are not small.

Dr. Stacy :

If you crush them and mix them with food she might take them.

Customer:

I guess I'll go back to the topical type. I'm concerned about them because she shakes shortly after I apply it and I'm not sure she is getting the protection she needs.

Dr. Stacy :

Does she shake because she hates the product or is she having a reaction?

Customer:

I've tried the crushing thing but she can still smell it and won't touch it.

Dr. Stacy :

I think the companies anticipated some rubbing an shaking after application. She is probably fine with the topical.

Customer:

She does the shaking like when she has a bath

Dr. Stacy :

A lot of dogs do that. Just part the hair and get in directly on the skin in several spots and she should get enough even if she shakes.

Customer:

OK thanks for the info.

Dr. Stacy :

good luck