Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is throwing up, has diarrhea and wont eat his food.

Customer Question

My dog is throwing up, has diarrhea and won't eat his food. What can I do to help him until I can get him to my vet on Tuesday?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help.

In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do until you can get him to your veterinarian:

1- Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can find Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. If you do not have pepcid ac leave without anything. Do not give pepto bismol.

2- No food or water for the next 8-12 hours. Need to give belly time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry to learn you had to put Bruiser to sleep. I know how difficult it is; but, it is a very noble decision. If there is anything that I can do to help or assist you in this difficult time, please let me know. I will have you in my prayers and thoughts.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. That is so kind of you. Bruiser was a family member from his birth 14 years ago until his passing today. He had a sister, who greeted him in heaven, who had cancer and died at the age of 11 (she lived a happy life for 3 1/2 years with her disease. He also has a brother who is still with us. Needless to say, having his brother here doesn't make his loss any easier. He had a good life. We love to spoil our "babies". We know he is in a better place now and romping with his sister. He had a tumor in his abdomen that they just recently found and he also had heart disease. We were given the option to bring him home for a while but we didn't want him to suffer anymore. We loved him too much to see him in any more pain. His last 3 days on earth were painful enough for him. He will be coming back home to us in an urn (sounds crazy to say that) but we are comforted to know he will be with us. Thank you again for everything. I would definitely recommend this website (and you) to everyone.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
I am certain by your writing that he was truly blessed by being in such a loving family. He knew it too. Wish all of my clients held their pets in such standards and so much love. God bless you.

Dr. Peter