Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.
24683783

small older yorkie, snores loudly, breathing difficulty, coughing

small older yorkie, snores loudly, breathing difficulty, coughing with honking sound.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Tell me about the breathing. Does he breathe in with difficulty or out with difficulty? Does he breath faster than normal? Can you count it for me breaths per minute? Count the number of breaths in 10 seconds and multiply by 6. Are his gums pink?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she seems to be congested. her mouth is open. when i checked her gums, she couldn't breathe and a small spray of fluid blew from her nose
So what color were her gums?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
kind of a dark brown around teeth. pink in some spots. around teeth and lower gums, dark brown
OK that is good. If they had been blue that would be bad. Where she has open mouth breathing it does seem that the nose is congested. At her age is the possibility that it could be tumor in her nose or fungal infection etc. She needs to have her nose looked up and possibly skull films and culture of the nasal contents.

The cough sounds more tracheal. She may have a collapsing trachea so it is important to get her to a vet for diagnosis and appropriate treatment for that and the breathing or what ever will be diagnosed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she has always snored heavily. she contracted bordetella as well as my other yorkie. the other is doing fine. beasley breathing and congestion seems worse. her appetite has never been better. she is hungrier than usual over the past few days. should she take a decongestant
You could try Vick's Formula 44 or Robitussin DM a child's dose, and Neosynephrine nose drops mild strength which will help control the cough and decongest her nose. 1 drop twice a day for several day should help.