Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience
55012488

what are the side effects of canine spectra 7

Customer Question

what are the side effects of canine spectra 7.  She did throw up an hour ago, and she does seem more restless than usual.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Hi - Yes, the most common side effect - usually to the bacterin (leptospirosis) in Canine Spectra 7 is a delayed hypersensitivity reaction which is evidenced by an urticarial reaction - swelling of the face and/or hives. Doxis are greatly overrepresented for this reaction. Most dogs will remiss within 36 hours - untreated. If you prefer, you can give Molly 1mg/lb of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and repeat that dose in 12 hours if necessary. If you happen to have prednisone at home, a dose of 0.5mg/lb given once should suffice. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you give me the equivalent of milliliters? I have a syringe (no needle) and it only has ml on it? AND... did you mean 1mg per pound? for instance: Molly is 15 lbs... so you mean 15 mgs?

Yes, 15mg of diphenhydramine would be appropriate for Molly. If you're going to make a suspension and squirt it into her I would pound a 25mg pill into powder, then mix 1/2 of that powder into enough water to then use your syringe. If your diphenhydramine is a 50mg pill or capsule, then 1/4 of that product will suffice. Let me know if I've explained this OK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aloha Doctor,

I am sorry, I was not clear... the benedryl I have is liquid, and the syringe I have is marked with ML measurements.

How many milliliters should be given per pound?

Thank you so much!

A relieved doggy owner.

Ah! You have to tell me the concentration of your product. It'll tell you how many mg of diphenhydramine is present in each ml (or each 5ml) on the label. I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you!

The label says in each 5 mL (1 tsp) it has 12.5 mg of Diphenhydramine HCI.

You get to squirt 5ml (1 tsp) down Molly. Such fun!
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! Aloha
You're quite welcome. I hope you had a mele kalikimaka!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, it was very nice. Happy New Year Dr.
You too. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. My best to Molly!