Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Can boric acid wash be used for dogs? If so, how much to dilute

Can boric acid wash be used for dogs? If so, how much to dilute and how best to apply it?
Hello. Thanks for writing in. What kind of wash are you talking about? Ear, eye or skin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Eye wash.

Thanks for the information. Just a note. If there is severe infection or swelling associated with the eye, you might not want to use this wash. I would have your vet check this out instead. You can boil 1 quart of water and add 1 level tablespoon of boric acid powder. Stir it until it is completely dissolved. Once it has cooled down, put it in a sealable glass container. It can be stored in room temperature afterward. To use, just saturate a cotton ball and wipe the eye gently. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.