Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dog ate 4 pounds of raw pork loin. Will there be any i

My dog ate 4 pounds of raw pork loin. Will there be any issues?
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. Most commonly, ingestion of large portions of raw meat can lead to digestive upset, including diarrhea and vomiting, though both should be self-limiting, lasting less than 24 hours and not requiring specific treatment. If signs persist, I'd be suspicious of pancreatitis, which can occur in any dog who eats inappropriate or unusual items. In that case, veterinary care would be required.

Trichinella, a formerly common parasite of pigs, can be passed on in uncooked pork, but it's not as common anymore due to some of the anti-parasite drugs currently in use.