petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

Dog is continually lifting head up high straight, sniffing

Dog is continually lifting head up high straight, sniffing and slowly licking
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

This is a behavior that could have many causes. Some dogs that are nauseous or have abdominal discomfort will lick their lips. This may be a sign of something like that. I have also seen dogs with post- nasal drip exhibit the same type of behavior, without any other respiratory signs. Finally, you are correct to be suspicious of her ears as a possible source, even without any noticeable odor. Sometimes with ear pain, it feels better for them to hold their head in a specific position.

I would keep an eye on him today and monitor for any other signs. You may want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. Monitor eating habits and breathing and if signs progress, it would be a good idea to have him examined.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.