ER Vet
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.

Boykin spaniel: year old female..spayed..46 lbs. in good health..bowel

Dear Dog Veterinary Expert, I need help with...my nine year old female (spayed) Boykin Spaniel appx. 46 lbs. in good health; takes thyroid meds daily; has thrown up all the food intake today; she is moaning some and feels poorly; ate a Pork Chomps (thin porkskin rawhide) last night and seemed hesitant to eat but did...seemed to gag a bit. Would that possibly block her bowel? She is not noticeably distended.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help! I just need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

How many times do you think she has thrown up today?

Is she holding down water?

Did she chew up the Pork Chomp or swallow a large piece?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

twice as far as I know; that was inside and she won't go outside except she did urinate a very small amount just a while ago

I've tried to get her to drink; she will not

swallowed almost whole; they are thin and size of Pringles potato chip

Expert:  ER Vet replied 2 years ago.
It is unlikely that this created an intestinal blockage but there is a chance this could be lodged in her esophagus.

Once something like this makes it to the stomach, the stomach acid will usually break it down and digest it.

The other possibility is she could be developing pancreatitis due to the pork fat. For some reason, pork products are more likely to cause inflammation of the pancreas compared to other treats, foods.

Pancreatitis and esophageal foreign bodies are both potentially very serious.

If she is moaning and acting lethargic, I would recommend that you take her to the ER tonight if possible.

If this isn't possible, some things that can be tried are:

1. Give 1 tablet of over-the-counter Pepcid AC every 12 hours.
  2. Check her heart rate by listening to the left side of her chest for 15 seconds and multiply by 43. If the total is over 150 beats per minute, I would be very concerned and get her to a vet asap.
  3. Use an eye dropper or syringe to give 3 tablespoons of water every hour overnight to try to maintain hydration.
  4. Don't offer any food until there has been no vomiting for at least 12 hours.

If you have further questions, let me know.

ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.