Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I think my dog eat poppy seeds today. He has fallen over adn

Customer Question

I think my dog eat poppy seeds today. He has fallen over adn he can't stand and for about
4 min or so then he settles down. it has happened about 5 times since the seeds were spilled. Have you ever seen this problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

What kind of dog is this?

Was there a large number of poppy seeds ingested?

Is there anything else he could have gotten into- garbages, compost piles, mold, marijuana, prescription meds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is a Schnauzer.
I don't think he could have had more than 2 tsp but I didn't even see him do it.He has never had these spells before. I will take him to the vet 1st thing in the morning. He just goes out in the yard to do his
business and there isn't anything he could have gotten into. It is like sezures. No meds or anything else he could have eaten. Judy
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks Judy,

I don't think the poppy seeds are to blame here. They are non-toxic in dogs.

I think you may be seeing either partial seizures or syncope (passing out) from an arrhythmia. These are the most common causes of collapsing in dogs.

The other possible cause would be a tumor that ruptured and is bleeding. Typically with those we will also see pale gums or a muddy blue color to the gums. That is something you can check at home. If you see those signs, then I would try to find an ER vet to get him to right away as it may be life threatening.

If this is more collapse from an arrhythmia, then I would keep him quiet and calm tonight and then get to a vet in the morning to observe him and run an EKG on his heart. Hopefully you don't see any more episodes and it will resolve on it's own. If you see it continue, then I would try to get a video with a phone or camera so that you can show your vet exactly what he's doing.

I would try to get some food in him just in case it's low blood sugar. That would resolve the signs if that is the issue.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The dog seems to be sleeping for the last hour and so I was hoping it
Would be something someone had heard of. I guess it could be something
else. We will take him to the vet as soon as I can in the morning.
I’ve got to turn in now.

Thank you so much.

Judy
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Collapsing episodes are not terribly uncommon, it's then the goal to find out why it happened.

If he's still doing ok at home, then it's not likely anything too serious.

You're very welcome.