Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my twelve week old german shepherd pup is breathing very fast,

my twelve week old german shepherd pup is breathing very fast, lalmost like panting while he is sleeping, i woke him up about an hour ago and brought him out for a pee and he went back to the same place and the same situation. he has all his vaccinations and was out in the garden playing alot today.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Is he breathing normal when awake? Any coughing or sneezing during the day?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he was breathing normally today, he had one or 2 odd sneezes when he stuck his nose into some bushes, also he ate a bit fast earlier on and had what seemed like hiccups for a few minutes. but apart from that he was breathing normally
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

At any time during his puppy vaccinations did your vet hear a heart murmur with Frazier?

When you woke him up, he breathed normally until going back to sleep?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no heart murmur was mentioned, and when i first wake him up he still breaths rather heavy but settles down very quickly to normal but i have only woke him once, he seems to be sleeping ok apart from the fast breathing.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
Ok. If he's breathing normally during the times he's awake, not having any significant nasal discharge or coughing, eating and drinking well, playing normally and being a normal puppy during the day - most likely this faster breathing while asleep isn't that concerning. Some will take shallow breaths while asleep due to the position they are in or if they are in "REM" sleep. I would say my recommendation would be to video what you're seeing at night for your vet to see it. At his next vaccine appointment, they can view that and check him over. They can then see if they want to take chest x-rays to further rule out anything else. My gut feeling is that this isn't that worrisome.