Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

My diabetic dog has been throwing up this evening. It began

My diabetic dog has been throwing up this evening. It began shortly after her insulin shot. Tried to avoid a finger smeared with kayro syrup.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

How many times has she vomited and what has she brought up?

Customer:

6 or so at least 3 with food and 3 mostly clear and slimey

dogdoc4u :

How is she acting otherwise?

Customer:

fine, now showing some interest in a bit of canned food

dogdoc4u :

When was the last time she vomited (how long ago)?

Customer:

45 min to 1 hr. cont to refuse dry food but slowly eating small amt of canned and holding it down, not enthusiatic about food at all

dogdoc4u :

I wouldn't push the food past what you have already given. If she is still nauseous it might instigate more vomiting

dogdoc4u :

If she has the karo syrup on board after the insulin injection she should be ok for a while

Customer:

ok

Customer:

leave dry down for when she wants it? what should I be watching for for emerency care?

dogdoc4u :

If she doesn't vomit after what she has eaten, try a little more canned in a few hours. If she is not interested I would put a little more karo on your fingers along her gums then try again in a few more hours

dogdoc4u :

You can make her some white rice and boiled chicken to stimulate her in the morning but do not give her the insulin in the morning if she is still vomiting or has no interest in her food

dogdoc4u :

Do you have any pepcid at home?

Customer:

yes

dogdoc4u :

Great, 10 mg?

Customer:

ok have an oral syringe for our pets

Customer:

she is drinking water now

dogdoc4u :

So you have liquid pepcid?

Customer:

yes we keep it on hand

dogdoc4u :

Can you tell me the mg/ ml or is it formulated for her?

Customer:

sorry, my mistake we have the pills (my daughter informs me

dogdoc4u :

Is it 10 mg?

Customer:

can give her a half it is a 20mg

dogdoc4u :

How much does she weigh?

dogdoc4u :

Are you sure it is pepcid? Not prilosec correct? Most pepcid is 10 mg and want to ensure we are giving the right dose...

Customer:

not sure am checking last vet report

dogdoc4u :

Does the bottle or box say?

Customer:

she just threw up again, water and canned food

Customer:

17.17 lbs

dogdoc4u :

Yes, as I suspected. No more food tonight...

dogdoc4u :

Can you confirm it is pepcid that you have?

Customer:

no problem

dogdoc4u :

Do the karo again in 2 hours then repeat in another 2 to keep her sugar up...

Customer:

ok

dogdoc4u :

That should get her through the trough of the insulin injection (6 hours)

Customer:

ok

Customer:

pepcid generic famotidine 20 mg

Customer:

we have pill splitter

dogdoc4u :

Has her diabetes been well regulated?

dogdoc4u :

I would 1/8 the pepcid so about 2.5 mg but not tonight...nothing in her stomach to avoid further vomiting

Customer:

we just found out about it. she sees the local vet thursday for sugar test and insulin adjustment if needed

dogdoc4u :

So how long has she been on the insulin then?

dogdoc4u :

This will be the first recheck?

Customer:

3weeks

Customer:

no problems until tonight

dogdoc4u :

And she is only on the insulin? No antibiotics for a uti or anything, correct?

Customer:

in fact active alert and full of life more so than in the past, reponded well,

Customer:

no other meds

dogdoc4u :

Great...

dogdoc4u :

I would really just limit her intake to water tonight, it she continues to vomit even the water then pull that away until morning

dogdoc4u :

Pick up the water bowl though and only allow her small amounts hourly to ensure she will hold it down

Customer:

ok

dogdoc4u :

Tomorrow try larger amounts of water and small (1 tsp) frequent meals of the white rice and boiled chicken. If she can hold that down hourly then increase the amount and decrease the frequency

dogdoc4u :

If she vomits stop again and no insulin in the morning

dogdoc4u :

It is much safer to have an elevated glucose versus one too low

dogdoc4u :

If the vomiting continues tomorrow it might warrant a visit to a veterinary er due to her diabetes to ensure she is ok and nothing else is going on

Customer:

just vomited again the water and bits of food

Customer:

will follow your instructions

dogdoc4u :

If the vomiting continues you might need to go in tonight. Depending on her overall state and if it goes past an hour or so

dogdoc4u :

They can give him medications to stop the vomiting/ nausea and allow him to rest comfortably

Customer:

I think she overdid the water before we stopped her. It had been a while until the extra food and her heading to the water bowl

dogdoc4u :

What time zone are you in?

Customer:

we will continue to watch her closely, Central

dogdoc4u :

So 7 pm?

dogdoc4u :

What time are you up until? I would wait at least 4 hours to offer a tsp of water...

Customer:

I cant loose another one have lost 2 in last 12 months both to old age 16 plus, last one was deaf and blind, but enjoyed her life until the last.

Customer:

yes 7pm

dogdoc4u :

Wow, so sorry

dogdoc4u :

If the vomiting continues, especially in your situation, I would get her in

dogdoc4u :

Better to be safe then sorry you waited. Likely you won't sleep well tonight without knowing she is ok...

Customer:

expecting my granddaughter at 10pm for the holidays, and I rarely go to bed before 1.

Customer:

at 72 I seem to sleep in short spurts

dogdoc4u :

So have you been busy preparing things for her arrival? This might be stress related...

Customer:

could be. She went off her usual self after Marquis died the day before Thankgiving.

dogdoc4u :

Yes, that can be quite stressful

Customer:

it was that vet visit that id'ed the diabetes which looking back we should hv spotted

dogdoc4u :

Hindsight...it sounds like you had a lot on your hands

Customer:

we will follow your instructions I won't even go into that. Thank you for your help. I certainly accept it

dogdoc4u :

You are welcome

dogdoc4u :

Good luck tonight...I will be thinking of you and Katie

dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please reply back. If you would like to accept my answer, please press ACCEPT. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you ACCEPT, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.