Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

My dog apparently ate a dog of hydrocortisone cream--what should

My dog apparently ate a dog of hydrocortisone cream--what should we do? She is an 18 lb. cockapoo.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How much of the cream did she eat? What size is the tube?

Was this a 1% hydrocortisone cream?

Is there any other ingredients in the cream other then the hydrocortisone?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She ate most of the tubs (it wasn't too big). Yes, it was 1% hydrocortisone cream. I am not sure if there were other ingredients in there--most of the tubing is gone (she ate it). I am concerned about the tubing so we are going to get her x-rayed. Please email me [email protected] or call me at xxxxxxx if you have anything else. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to use email or call but only give answers through the website, so hopefully you can get this information.

The hydrocortisone cream itself is a very weak steroid medication therefore I do not suspect any side effects or problems from that alone. The most likely problem is any would be some increased thirst and urination form her. Other then this I would not suspect any problems.

The tube would be the worst part as this could cause an obstruction unless she chewed the tube up really well where it may not be a problem.

In case she did not chew the tube up and swallowed it in larger pieces you can make her vomit to try to bring it back up. This may save an x-ray and the expense of the visit for you. I would recommend giving her 20 cc or slightly more then one tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide by mouth every 10 minutes for up to three dosages until she vomits. Once she brings it up she should be just fine.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions.