Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I HAVE A DOG THAT HAS A HERNIATED DISC AND HE IS PARALYZED

I HAVE A DOG THAT HAS A HERNIATED DISC AND HE IS PARALYZED IN HIS BACK LEGS. HE HAS NOT HAD A BOWEL MOVEMENT IN THURSDAY HE WAS OUT THAT MORNING AND I WENT TO GET HIM AND FOUND OUT THAT HIS LEGS WERE NOT WORKING. WHEN SHOULD HE HAVE A BOWEL MOVEMENT, AND IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I CAN GIVE HIM NOW THAT WILL HELP. HE URINATES AND HAS A REGULAR APPETITE. SO WHAT CAN I DO?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry to hear what has happened.
If he has no use of his hindlimbs, he may not have the strength or neurologic ability to defecate at all, with assistance or not. You need to get him into a neurologist for a second opinion!

Find Various Specialists
--> Under "specialty" select SAIM = Small Animal Internal Medicine
--> Or, you can search for a Neurologist, Cardiologist or Oncologist
.
It is possible, Milo could greatly improve with surgery or certain medications.

http://www.purina.co.nz/Home/All+About+Dogs/Dog+Care+Questions/Article+Archive+Dog/Paralysis+in+Dogs.htm

Somtimes, medications like lactulose can help to keep the feces soft so a pet does not get constipated.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5765533_treat-dog-hind-leg-paralysis.html

The sooner a specialist is consulted and surgery performed, can have a direct coorelation on the outcome and improved mobility.

Do not give a laxative. This could cause severe diarrhea and abdominal cramping, which would be very uncomfortable for a paralyzed pet.
Got to consult a vet ASAP or specialist.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click accept.

REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HE DID GO TO HE VET THE DAY THAT HE WENT PARLYZED. HE WAS ON SHOTS ON JUST OT OFF OF THEM AND NOW IS ON VETPROFEN ONCE A DAY. HE HAS STARTED TO GET FEELING IN HIS LKOWER BELLY AND WHEN I DID THE DEEP PAIN TEST N IS LEGS TODAY I COULD SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Understood.
You need to ask your vet:
"Why using a NON-steroidal anti-inflammatory" as opposed to a steroid"

Also ask:
"Can you refer me to a neurologist for a second opinion"

Great that you are seeing improvement, and it is possible, with a specialists assistance, that you could see even more.