CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my chihuahua is peeing blood, what could be wrong, what should

Customer Question

my chihuahua is peeing blood, what could be wrong, what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) How old is your dog?

2) Male or female?

3) Spayed or neutered?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1 - my dog is 2 yrs old 2 - male 3 - no
Regarding the signs you report above - causes that would be common based on history alone (without being able to perform an examination) would include:

- Urinary Tract Infection - LINK HERE
- Bladder Stones - LINK HERE
- Urinary Crystals - LINK HERE

Being intact and not neutered,other causes would be a prostate infection.

Access to rat poison or other clotting (platelet) issues would need to be ruled out as well if something as simple as a urinary tract infection is not found.

To help identify a cause, aside from a good physical examination, evaluation of the urine (urinalysis LINK HERE and possible urine culture LINK HERE) are common first tests.

If the urine evaluation is negative, yet the signs continue, an x-ray is a common test to consider as most bladder stones in dogs are visible on x-rays. Bloodwork would then also be recommended to look at the clotting system.

I hope this helps and guides you!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet