Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 11 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

how much ace and torb can be given to a 50lb dog to sedate.

Customer Question

how much ace and torb can be given to a 50lb dog to sedate. She is a wild dog and we need to catch her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Are you able to touch this dog?

Did your vet prescribe the Acepromazine for you?

Are you feeding her regularly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She will take trests fr9om us and she waits for us to feed her and she will let me touch her nose but not close enough to grab her. She has bee around for 8 months in our woods
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - Do you have Acepromazine? What dose do you have?

Have you tried a loop leash to catch her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried leashes traps etc smart girl. I have ace 25mg and torb 5mg
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Typically with acepromazine the dose is about 0.5 mg per pound one hour before the desired effect therefore for a 50 pound dog a whole tablet could be given. Acepromazine given orally is somewhat unpredictable with dogs as some dogs will have no effect at all and some will become very drowsy with this dose. You will have to find a way to keep track of her after she takes the pill as the effects can take an hour or two before she will be relaxed enough. The Torbugesic will not work as well, as this only has a mild sedative effect, though a 5 mg tablet in addition to the Ace could be tried for her.

Hope this helps - please reply if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is the dosage for torb and I know Torb has more of pain effectiveness but do you think the 2 together would be enough to get her drowsy and what is the high end of ace for a 50 lb dog I wasn't sure but is it 1mg /lb or would that be to high?

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
One mg per pound is the high end of the dose and I generally do not use that at first as this could significantly drop the blood pressure. The two together would work well to make her drowsy and you should not have to give a higher dose of Ace when you give the Torb at the same time. The dose for Torb is generally 0.25 mg per pound.
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM - 11 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank Dr Matt have a nice day
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome! Hope this works.