Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

Do you know why my lab would throw up after drinking water...

Customer Question

Do you know why my lab would throw up after drinking water... its just clear most of the time, but he does it all the time!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Does he drink a lot of water when he drinks or does he drink it really fast?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sometimes, but today no matter what he drinks he is throwing it right back up clear. He drinks a lot!

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.
Is he feeling normally otherwise?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Seems to be

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.
Dogs that drink large amounts of water (either in speed or volume like your pooch) will over fill their stomach. The stomach will reject the large volume and remove some of the water by throwing it up. the easiest fix is to fill very small bowls of water and scatter them throughout the home, this way he can only drink a little bit at a time so he doesn't over fill the stomach. The other solution is when he starts drinking let him drink only for 10-15 sec from his main bowl then distract him and make him do something else for a little while so he can process the water he drank before he puts more in his stomach.

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan