CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my dog has a fever of 104.2, very listless, wont eat or drink,

my dog has a fever of 104.2, very listless, won't eat or drink, really bad breath, urinated yesterday morning, limps with alternating legs, hobbles, he won't stand up, my vet checked him out and took x-rays and blood work and can't find an answer. my vet said high white blood cell count and fever indicate an infection but she can't find the source.
Submitted: 5 years ago via Maybeckvet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Regarding fever - it can certainly be frustrating at times.

If x-rays were performed, important to make sure they were chest x-rays, ruling out pneumonia and not just belly x-rays.

Additional tests should also be done looking into tick borne disease (LINK):
- Lyme
- Ehrlichia
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- Anaplasma
- Babesia
- Bartonella

- Even potentially a belly ultrasound (LINK) looking for causes such as an abscess / infection or even inflammation such as pancreatitis.

I hope this information helps!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.