Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog has red, some crusty bumps on his belly and some that

my dog has red, some crusty bumps on his belly and some that look like ingrown hairs on his legs. any advice would be helpful. we have just moved (5 weeks ago) so I know he's under some stress, we also got new treats. Unfortunately, I just lost my job so I cannot afford to take him to a vet. His shots are up to date and he does not play with other dogs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Is he licking these areas?
2- Is he itching?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no he's not licking or itchting the areas, but seems to be itching in other areas. I know that sounds stupid, sorry! he is on regular montly flea medication and heartworm too.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is he licking his paws?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there are also lots of stray cats in our neighborhood, our backyard too. since we just moved here, its his first exposure to outdoor cats. hope he didn't get something from them :) he's a lab/Chow/shepard mix with thick fur. he's eating, drinking and going to the bathroom normally. he did have 2 accidents in the house (two weeks ago), and has never had an accident since the day I adopted him. I know its alot of info, just wanted you to have all the facts. thanks! no he's not licking his paws at all.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
The lesions that you are describing are consistent with a localized infection, which can be either bacterial or fungal (ringworm). Coming in contact with stray cats ringworm is high on the list of possible causes. This is what you can do:

1- Clip the lesions of all hair. Use clippers not scissors to avoid a potential laceration.
2- Pick up in your local pet store chlorhexiderm soap/shampoo or any antibacterial shampoo with the ingredient "chlorhexidine." Wash the affected area 1-2 times a day.
3- Once you have wash the affected areas with the above soap/shampoo apply topical miconazole. You can find miconazole over the counter in any pharmacy and some pet store. Do this twice a day for the next 2-3 weeks.
4- Make certain he does not lick the miconazole, if he does you may need to pick up an ecollar (cone) to stop him from licking the medication.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. These are small bumps, the size of a pencil eraser. He has never come into physical contact with the cats, but they do come into our yard and they are on the same "grass". How quickly can dogs adapt to stress? One vet said one of the bumps on his belly could be nipples and he may scratch them. The others on his legs just showed up in the last few days (no puss or anything, no mising hair, just a lump under the skin like an ingrown hair). Wanted to make sure I was clear on my descriptions. Thank you for your patience. We also changed our rawhides. Should this have any effect? Many thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
These lesions are not related to stress.

Ringworm can be found in the environment and not necessarily coming into direct contact with the cat. They could also be bacterial lesions. If the lesions are not getting better on the neosporin it is worth trying an antifungal like miconazole. Chlorhexiderm is an excellent antiseptic and will work against both, bacterias and fungal. The recommendations I made above is a general approach for common bacterial or fungal localized infections. Try using the chlorhexiderm with the neosporin and if you do not see significant improvement in 3-5 days, change to the topical miconazole.

If he is allergic to the rawhides, yes, that can cause skin lesions. But, when dogs are sensitive or allergic to food they are usually itchy which is not the case with your dog. I do not believe this is related to the rawhide.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.