Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

my dog is ill he wont eat sleeps all the time nose is dry and

Customer Question

my dog is ill he wont eat sleeps all the time nose is dry and hot normally active chasing squirrels ect 3rd day like this he will drink water time to time and hes panting alot
Submitted: 3 years ago via Maybeckvet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

Can you please tell me what breed he is and his age?

Customer :

he is a min pin and hes 6yrs old

dogdoc4u :

Has he had any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer :

no

dogdoc4u :

Has anything changed in the past week? Increased activity, exposure to garbage or anything plant-like?

Customer :

i let him out to pee and he just lyas in the grass

Customer :

no

dogdoc4u :

Is he walking any different? Hunched or stiff?

Customer :

hes been sneezing alot too

Customer :

walks slow

dogdoc4u :

No crying out or whining when moving or going to the bathroom?

Customer :

not spunky like normal

Customer :

no

dogdoc4u :

Does he have nasal discharge with the sneezing? Or a cough?

Customer :

he just trew up just now

dogdoc4u :

When was the last time he urinated or defecated?

Customer :

hee peed this morning

Customer :

the trow up looks like white bile

Customer :

throw up

dogdoc4u :

Did he actively wretch first or was he coughing until he vomited?

Customer :

he wretched

dogdoc4u :

OK... no idea when he had his last bowel movement?

Customer :

not sure i think friday

dogdoc4u :

Has he been licking his lips more then normal the past few days?

Customer :

no just sits there with his ears back

dogdoc4u :

Can you tell me his gum color?

Customer :

dark pink

Customer :

breath is bad though

dogdoc4u :

Is he panting constantly or intermittently?

Customer :

intermittenly

dogdoc4u :

Do you have an ability to check his temperature? A digital or mercury thermometer?

Customer :

let see if i have one ?

dogdoc4u :

Great, thank you

Customer :

98.00

dogdoc4u :

OK, that is a little low...

dogdoc4u :

When was the last time he ate?

Customer :

friday

dogdoc4u :

Unfortunately the treatment would be quite different for pain related to orthopedic/ back issues that would be contraindicated if he is having gi issues...

dogdoc4u :

Does he seem as if he is getting worse?

Customer :

no same for two days now

dogdoc4u :

But a little dog like a Min Pin not eating for two days is more of a concern than a lab that has not eaten for that period of time...

dogdoc4u :

My concern is the panting is related to pain, I am unsure if it is gi related or orthopedic pain but when a little dog pants a lot, it increases the gas in their stomach causing stomach upset and vomiting occasionally

dogdoc4u :

What have you offered him to eat?

Customer :

his food

dogdoc4u :

Does he have any food allergies?

Customer :

and a small piece of bacon he stubbed his nose at it

Customer :

no

dogdoc4u :

OK, so let's go to the store and pick up some jarred baby food, meat flavors. Also, do you have any karo syrup at home?

Customer :

ok

dogdoc4u :

Do you have karo syrup ?

Customer :

no

dogdoc4u :

OK, so let's get some karo as well. If he won't eat the baby food, use your finger to wipe some karo on his gums to keep his sugar level up until you can get him to the vet tomorrow

dogdoc4u :

If you are up to it and you think he might eat it, you can boil some white rice and chicken. It is bland but good for him too

dogdoc4u :

I just don't know if he will eat it.

dogdoc4u :

Karo every 4 hours or so today

Customer :

thats it do have any idea whats wrong with him

dogdoc4u :

The reduced appetite might be due to orthopedic/ back pain and that would be my main concern but gi issues really cannot be ruled out without an examination...he is not showing any gi signs (the vomiting can be due to back pain or increased air swallowing) such as diarrhea, straining to defecate, actively vomiting

dogdoc4u :

But the reduced appetite is a concern...it will be interesting to see if he eats anything else offered to him

dogdoc4u :

But again orthopedic pain can cause a reduced appetite as well

dogdoc4u :

So at this point my concern would be a back injury (breed issue), gastroenteritis

Customer :

should i massage him to see if he responds

dogdoc4u :

You can but sometimes a stoic dog will not demonstrate pain when not done by a professional. Worth a try, circular massage on each side of his spine starting behind his skull

dogdoc4u :

Can I answer any other questions for you this morning?

Customer :

he tensed up real tight but didnt yelp

dogdoc4u :

This is one of those cases that requires a hands-on approach in order to get more information. Where did he tense up?

dogdoc4u :

Usually it tends to be necks on min pins

Customer :

mid section around his ribs

Customer :

my son just told me he fell off the bed

dogdoc4u :

OK, that is another fairly common area of injury, especially in little dogs

Customer :

on friday

dogdoc4u :

Ah, than likely it is his back...

dogdoc4u :

I think it will be important to get him to the vet tomorrow to get a diagnosis and get him on some pain medication...

Customer :

can i give him tylenol

dogdoc4u :

No, please do not! It is toxic and will cause liver failure

Customer :

ok

Customer :

dr taylor tommorow then thanks

dogdoc4u :

I really would not advise over the counter medication with him vomiting just a bit ago

dogdoc4u :

You can rotate heat (warm towel) and cold (ice pack wrapped in a towel) for ten minutes three to four times today if he will tolerate it

dogdoc4u :

Can I answer any other questions for you today?

dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please reply back. If you would like to accept my answer, please press ACCEPT. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you ACCEPT, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

dogdoc4u :

Really restrict him today, picking him up between his front and back legs so you minimize him tucking his back causing more pain...

Customer :

no thank any way

dogdoc4u :

OK, well good luck to you then. If you feel I have not answered your questions to your satisfaction then please return so I can assist you further. I did spend 30 minutes answering your questions and do feel we got answers and formed a plan so am disappointed you feel you do not need to compensate me.