My dog just ate 18 Halls cough drops. Will it harm him?
How much does your dog weigh?
There are about 7 milligrams of menthol in a Halls, and the toxic dose for menthol is between 1500 to 2500 milligrams per pound. That is a LOT of cough drops.
There may be some vomiting and diarrhea, but I would expect nothing worse.
He weighs 46 lbs
So if he ate 18, that is a little over 200 milligrams total. That is about 4 milligrams per pound, way less than the toxic dose of 1500 milligrams per pound.
Any more questions?
OK, so should I give him anything as an antidote?
There is no antidote.
I forgot to ask, are these sugarless cough drops? You should look on the label to see if "xylitol" is an ingredient. It is an artificial sweetener that is very poisonous to dogs.
I'll look. No they are not sugarless.
Then the most you should see, if anything, is some diarrhea from the sugar. Again, no antidote for sugar or for menthol.
At least he won't cough for awhile!
You are welcome.
If so, please ask.