CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

22-24 lb beagle mix ate "just one bite" rat poison. unsure

22-24 lb beagle mix ate "just one bite" rat poison. unsure of the amount consumed. induced vomiting. should we give him a vitamin k shot?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

What is the active ingredient listed on the box?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
bromadiolone 0.005%
Excellent! That is the best kind to get into out of the 3 most common (if we had to choose...)

Right now there are 2 options:

1) Since this just happened - if you would like to try some at home care - to make your dog vomit at home (LINK HERE)- you can use hydrogen peroxide.

The general dose is 5 mls/ 5 pounds- not to exceed 15mls (one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml).

You can give a second dose in 15 minutes if the first dose does not work.

If this does not work - I would try to get to your local ER as they likely have a medication (Apomorphine - LINK HERE) which causes vomiting in a much more reliable fashion.

2) Take your dog to the ER now. They will induce vomiting, administer activated charcoal, and then discuss the need for other medication.

For your information - Anticoagulant Rodenticides: The most common is an anticoagulant that causes animals to bleed to death. It accomplishes this by inhibiting Vitamin K metabolism. It takes 48 hours after ingestion for clotting test abnormalities to develop, and an additional 24 hours before clinical bleeding to develop.

It takes at least 2-3 days for your dog to get sick after ingesting this possible toxin.

If this were my dog, I would test the blood in 48 hours. If the PT blood test is normal then, medication will not be needed.

If the PT test is prolonged, medication will be needed, twice per day, for 4 weeks...but I would personally not like to medicate my own dog, twice per day, for 4 weeks...if it was not even needed!

I hope this information helps!
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with For CriticalCareVet