Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet
Experience:  significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian

my dog has scabs on the inside of his ear flaps. what is t

my dog has scabs on the inside of his ear flaps. what is this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.

Dr. John :

Thank you for your question concerning Louie. Are his ears itchy? Are there any other areas of abnormal skin? Is there any discharge out of the ear canals that you can see?

Customer:

no, to all of those questions. the scabs are at the bottom of his inside ear flaps.

Dr. John :

Did he have any recent vaccinations?

Customer:

no, but he did eat a pound of chocolate a couple days ago. one of your co-workers helped me with that problem. that issue seems to be resolved. that would not affect his ears, would it?

Dr. John :

No, chocolate wouldn't cause the symptoms you describe.

Dr. John :

Are these areas painful?

Customer:

they do not seem to be

Dr. John :

And they are on the inside ear flaps, towards the edges?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

they just look like small, dry scabs

Dr. John :

Okay thank you. This could be a few different things. An infection of some type is possible, such as a skin bacteria. Skin infections are typically itchy however.

Customer:

should i call my vet tomorrow?

Customer:

they do not appear to be bothering him

Dr. John :

Vasculitis is also possible. This is inflammation of blood vessels (can be induced by vaccines or other things that call on the immune system) and scabs are typically found where the smallest blood vessels are found, such as at the ear tips.

Customer:

what should i do?

Dr. John :

This is a more severe case of vaculitis where some ear tissue has been significantly damaged.

Dr. John :

Full Size Image

Dr. John :

Does it look anything like the bottom portion of the ear (obviously the top area is pretty severe with some scarring)?

Customer:

maybe a little bit

Customer:

it is a very small area

Customer:

maybe 3-4 scabs on each ear

Customer:

the scabs are very small

Dr. John :

Okay - well since these don't seem to be bothering him I'd say it is up to you if you want to bring him in for evaluation or not. I also think it's fair to see if they self resolve since they aren't bothering him at all currently (however if you do wait and see - bring him in right away if he starts scratching, they get bigger, more show up, etc)

Dr. John :

If you do bring him in, make sure a full otoscopic exam is performed and cytology is performed on the scabs to look for bacteria, fungal organisms, etc.

Customer:

ok. thank u for your help

Dr. John :

A biopsy is the only way to get a definitive answer as to what these are - so if these tests don't reveal an answer or if things are getting worse with an unknown cause, a biopsy should be pursued so that you can have a definitive answer on the cause of these lesions.

Dr. John :

Good luck and please let me know if you have any further questions!

Customer:

thanks again

Experience: significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian