CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog is just sleeping all day and not eating at all. He is

Customer Question

My dog is just sleeping all day and not eating at all. He is very lethargic. Also he is diabetic.
He has seen the vet and he cannot find anything wrong with him. His heart, temprature is ok, also he is suffering with his ear although that is getting better now. He is on insulin 14gm twice a day. Optimune for his eyes, and the vet has also given him Marbocyl tablets and also Zitac. I am giving him skimed milk to drink instead of water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When you saw your vet, when was that?

What tests were performed?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We saw the vet yesterday. He checked his heart, his tempreature, felt his bowels,all ok, he had a slight inflamation in his throat. Had a keytone test last week the reults was excellent.
Therapies to consider include:

1) Starting a bland diet.

One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE)

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

If the diet is tolerated, and once clinical improvement is seen, it is recommended to SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet.

When you start to transition to the normal diet, you can initially offer a food mixture with the majority being the boiled rice and meat and have a small amount of normal dog food mixed in.

Each day you can gradually decrease the amount of rice and meat and gradually increase the amount of normal dog food in the mixture.

We recommend a slow transition over 3-5 days to reduce possible stomach upset.

2) Antacids for stomach upset (often one is chosen of the 3 choices below):
- Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE
- Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) - LINK HERE
- Rantididine (Zantac) - LINK HERE

3) Prescription medications for nausea from your veterinarian such as:
- Cerenia (LINK HERE)
- Zofran (LINK HERE)

For signs that do not resolve with supportive care alone, tests considered looking for other causes (or confirming the diagnosis) would include:

- Evaluation of the feces for abnormal bacteria or parasites (LINK HERE)

- Bloodwork to check electrolytes and organ values (LINK HERE)

If this does not get better - you will need evaluation again.

With this illness in a diabetic patient, I am very concerned this could be a case of DKA, or diabetic ketoacidosis (LINK HERE) - when they cant get their insulin and are not eating.

Often in these cases (approximately 70 percent of the time), there is a secondary problem that is leading to the body having a very hard time regulating the glucose and insulin.

Secondary problems can include:
- Urinary tract infection
- Pneumonia
- Pancreatitis
- Cushings disease

Moreover, if they are not eating and getting their insulin - these patients need IV fluids, IV antibiotics, and IV medications for nausea as well as special types of insulin until they are feeling better!

I hope this information is helpful.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with For CriticalCareVet