Dr. Norman Bayne
Dr. Norman Bayne, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctorate in veterinary medicine and licensed in MI & UT; I will do my absolute best to help you.
14021421

My dog has a lump in the middle of his chest, under the skin

Customer Question

My dog has a lump in the middle of his chest, under the skin it is hard. What could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Norman Bayne replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Norman Bayne :

Welcome to JustAnswer...my name isXXXXX a licensed veterinarian, and will do my absolute best to assist you.

Dr. Norman Bayne :

How large is the lump in diameter? When did you first notice it?

Customer:

I noticed it yesterday, it is about the size of a dime

Dr. Norman Bayne, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctorate in veterinary medicine and licensed in MI & UT; I will do my absolute best to help you.
Is the mass movable or does it seem fixed in place?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sorry, so what do you think?
Does this mass move when you feel it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It seems to be a hard non movable nodule.
This could be a non-worry (benign tumor) or a malignant one.

I have seen lipomas or fatty-cell benign tumors that are trapped between the muscles of the chest/rib cage and muscles that are very firm in feel. These are not a real worry and can be easily removed if they get too large.

It also could be a malignant type of cancer and should be seen by your local veterinarian. A fine-needle aspirate can be performed to remove some cells from the mass and view them under a microscope. If it is greasy and does not dry, that is good and it is a lipoma. Your vet can see malignant changes in the cells and/or send the cells smeared on a slide to a lab for expert analysis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the likely hood of it being malignant, for the breed is it normal? Is it normally expensiveto have this done? I just want ot be prepared.
Wouldn't say Boston's are any more likely to have a malignant tumor than other breeds and he is not that old. No guarantees here, but it may very well be benign and just watch for changes.

The visit will be relatively inexpensive although I cannot quote someone else's prices. Should only be office visit charge, charge for aspiration, and examination. Your vet may want to x-ray his chest if malignant changes are seen in the cells.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, I normally feel himm every other day so this is new to me. I will call the Vet in the morning. Just to check. I have another question though is second hand smoke dangerous to dogs like it is to people? What are the risk factors for lung cancer for dogs and cats from second hand smoke?
Second-hand smoke is a concern for all mammals, including dogs and cats. The masses would more likely be unseen in the lungs if that was the case. Have never seen lung cancer in a dog or cat from second-hand smoke.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well that is good to hear. The lump he has is a little to the left in the middle of the chest I do not see that it is pink or any color for that matter. It is under his furr, he does not bother it and there is not difference between the are and the rest of him. I had a dog before that had the waxy lump but they just drained it. This is different, you dont have a percentage of likeyhood?
If it was able to be drained or an abscess, it would be flucuant or squishy in texture. Being firm it is a benign or malignant tumor. Think positive that it will be benign. Good chance it will be benign with his young age.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, it has helped set my mind at ease to know it is not any more heritary then any other breed and hopefully since hes young it will turn out ok.

Have a great day.

You are very welcome; good luck with him. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.