Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  9 yrs experience as a small animal veterinarian; 19 yrs exp. in the animal care field
883989

my dog has blood in his urine and stool -- what is the problem and what should I do.. Tha

my dog has blood in his urine and stool -- what is the problem and what should I do..
Thanks,
Michael
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet help replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I would like to help but will need some additional information.

Is there a significant amount of blood (continuously dripping) or smaller spots noted in the urine and on the stool?

Is Winston neutered?

Aside from the bleeding issue, is he acting normally, eating ok?

Check his belly, in his armpits, the whites of his eyes- do you see small spots or specks of bruising?

Is there any possibility that Winston could have gotten into anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

blood in the urine is visable, blood in the stole didn't notice until I was cleaning up a stole mess in the house ( Winston doesn't go in the house normally) and the paper towel had blood on it, you couldn't see the blood until you looked at the towel. No dripping that I am aware of.

Winston has not been neutered.

He seems to be acting normal, wants to play all the time.

Don't see anything on his belly and the whites of his eye's seem to be ok.

Don't think he has gotten into anything - nothing looks to be disturbed.

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Vet help replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Given his status as an intact male, I would be concerned that the bloody urine may be associated with an infection in his prostate or within the urinary bladder itself. He is a bit young for the formation of cystic calculi (stones within the urinary bladder), but this is another possibility.
The blood in the stool is associated with colitis, an inflammation within the large bowel. Colitis can occur for several reasons but in Winston's case it is most likely due to stress and developed secondary to the urinary tract issue.

Thank you for checking for the spots. These pinpoint areas of bruising are called petecchia and would indicate that Winston had a bleeding disorder, such as from rat poison. I'm very glad to hear that all looks well in that regard.

As long as Winston is able to urinate and he otherwise seems ok, you don't need to rush him in to the ER vet. For tonight, I'd recommend trying to encourage him to drink lots of water in order to flush out his urinary tract. Withhold food overnight to allow his digestive tract to settle down and for breakfast offer him a bland diet of boiled chicken or boiled hamburger and white rice in a ratio of 1/3 meat to 2/3 rice.

Have your vet take a look at him tomorrow. He will most likely check Winston's temperature to assess for fever, palpate his prostate via rectal exam, and perform a urinalysis and fecal exam.
Based upon these findings, he can get Winston the appropriate medications.

If Winston seems painful, is straining but cannot urinate, begins vomiting, or the bleeding worsens, he should be evaluated on an emergency basis.
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience: 9 yrs experience as a small animal veterinarian; 19 yrs exp. in the animal care field