CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my 7yrs old dog has black spots in the iris of one eye around

my 7yrs old dog has black spots in the iris of one eye around the pupil
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is this new or chronic?

Are the black spots changing size or shape?

Are more appearing?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we noticed the first one a few months ago and i noticed a new one today. i dont think the original one has changed shape. he doesnt appear to be in any discomfort
Does it look like this?

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
similar but no spots in the whites of his eye and just 2 large spots
Hi there,

While this may be - benign iris (pigment) melanosis - the picture I gave you above is cancer, iris melanoma.

It would be a good idea for you to have your vet examine the eye - especially if there are more spots you are noticing.

Again - this may be benign pigment change, but it is good to be proactive here, ruling out melanoma (cancer).
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with For CriticalCareVet